With so many leafy green things growing in the garden and in containers on the back porch, green sauce season is here. Fresh, uncooked green sauces exist in cuisines around the world – pesto, chimichurri, pistou, chermoula, salsa verde (which really describes so many of these herby sauces), and zhoug- a bright, fiery condiment from Yemen that’s made with fresh cilantro, parsley, garlic, chilies and olive oil. Yes, that describes, more or less, many green sauces out there – zhoug also has some cumin, coriander and often cardamom to round it out with floral, earthy flavours. As with its saucy green relatives, it’s amazing on eggs, drizzled over avocado toast, fish, stews and roasted carrots, tossed with potato salad… once you have a jar in the fridge, you’ll start spooning it over everything.
My old friend Mairlyn (the friendship is old, not the people in it) was in town a few weeks ago, and we got together to record a Kurt S. Adler 10.5 Beach Santa with Flamingos Figure (her episode will be up soon!), which was a blast because Mairlyn is hilarious and fun and we could have recorded 6 hours of conversation with no trouble at all. Unfortunately my face hurt from laughing and she had to get to the airport, and so I sent her off with a batch of her own high-fibre Chocolate Fudgy Brownie Bites. It’s the first recipe I made out of her latest book, Peace, Love and Fibre, and one I’ve made two or three times since – despite the very healthy-sounding ingredient list, these are chewy and chocolatey and divine, and I started making them for W’s lunchbox. Though we’re at the end of lunchbox season, camping/hiking/road trip season is right here, and regardless of the time of year, we all need more cookies in our lives.
Posh Peanut Fitted Crib Sheet, Soft Viscose from Bamboo Fabric, Standard Crib and Toddler Mattresses 52 by 28 (Black pink)
Water Tap Kitchen Taps Modern Kitchen Taps Stainless Steelwashbasin Faucet Cold and Hot Faucet Sink Faucet qnomsh7058-Furniture
This is what happens when I come home with leftover whipping cream in a can… I need to come up with a use for it to prevent myself from spraying it all directly into my mouth. Also: I have a container of the most brilliant raspberry-rhubarb compote in the fridge, which I love to eat cold with yogurt and granola, but lets face it – a crunchy-edged biscuit and whipped cream makes even better use of it. If dessert was a sandwich, this might be it.
Somehow, someone somewhere decided that shortcakes were the ultimate vehicle for strawberries… so much so that someone else invented those little yellow sweet sponges to sell alongside the berries in grocery stores during the summer. And yes, strawberry shortcake is a good thing… such a good thing that they named a cartoon character after it. But honestly, any juicy seasonal fruit does just as well – you need it to be juicy so that the shortcakes can absorb some of those juices, so cold stewed plums or thickly sliced peaches tossed in sugar are great contestants. But my personal favourite is raspberries + rhubarb – since I have no berries growing in my back yard, I use a bag of the frozen ones, which is perfectly fine – especially for cooking. You wind up with this sweet-tart intense red compote that’s just saucy enough for things like shortcakes and DaDa Bedding DXJ100681-1 Vine Cotton Patchwork 3-Piece Quilt Set, Twin, Green – but that’s another story.
Keep Reading »
Yesssss, I managed to get another podcast out and into the world! Food writer Charter Club Damask Designs Palm 3 Piece Pima Cotton Full Queen Duvet Cover Set Multi Green was in town to promote her new cookbook, Uncomplicated, and since she has many years of experience running the Chatelaine test kitchen, we decided to sit down and answer a few common questions we get about cooking, ingredients and other culinary curiosities. We also talked about what makes a solid recipe, how you know it’s going to work, and ate some jelly doughnuts. Have a listen!
There are few new ideas in the culinary world – most recipes out there are tweaks of existing things or creative new versions of same, and I suppose this is no different. But when someone on Twitter questioned why no ice cream version of the Nanaimo bar exists – beyond, yes, an Neilyn Modern Bathroom Pull-type Faucet Taps Fashion Hot and Cold Chrome Full Copper Bathroom Sink Basin Mixer Taps Single Handle 360 ° redatable Deck Inssizetion Faucet (though I wonder about the vanilla ice cream filling with dry custard powder stirred in…) – in response to the conversation about the new Pyty123-Faucet Faucet Kitchen Sink Hot And Cold Water Faucet and how the Nanaimo bar stamp looks more like an ice cream bar, ratio-wise, I leapt at the challenge. And so I give you Nanaimo ice cream bars with a Nanaimo bar base and frozen custard ice cream made with Bird’s custard powder. Oh yes.
Bijjaladeva Antique Bathroom Sink Vessel Faucet Basin Mixer Tap Basin mixer, basin, hot and cold SINGLE HOLE WASH-hand basin bench pots of hot and cold black gold plus high, black
- Funtime RDB24SS Stainless Steel Non Stick Hot Dog Roller Grill with Drip Pan With Dual Temperature Controls
- S.Twl.E Sink Mixer Tap Faucet Bathroom Kitchen Basin Tap Leakproof Save Water Copper gold pink gold Black Antique Bath Faucet With Water Into Wall Mounted Bath Faucet Kit C
- A High Section Lpophy Bathroom Sink Mixer Taps Faucet Bath Waterfall Cold and Hot Water Tap for Washroom Bathroom and Kitchen Copper Antique Folding redating Hot and Cold Retro B Short
- NewBorn Faucet Water Taps Hot And Cold Water The Brass Thermostatic Shower Water Tap Shower Shower Kit Wall Mounted Lift Shower + Handheld Shower Water Tap Shower System
- Brass Wall Faucet Chrome Brass Faucetfaucet Dual Handle Bathroom Mixer Tap Animal Shape Tap
- Bathroom Sink Tap Hot Cold Faucet Washbasin Single Handle 360 Degree redation All Copper Black gold Space Aluminum Faucet Household Bathroom Basin Faucet Hot and Cold Faucet
- Retro Tap Modern Luxury Vintage Platingbathroom Faucet Bath Retro Basin Faucet Single Handle Wash Basin Taps Faucet
- Kitchen Taps Faucet Modern Kitchen Sink Taps Stainless Steelwashbasin Faucet Washstand Faucet Bathroom Cabinet Washbasin Faucet
- Villeroy & Boch 1024847556 New Wave Espresso Cups, 8 inches, White
- Bathroom Faucet, Modern Minimalist 360° Two-Way redating Chrome Plated Brass Sink Faucet, Single Hole hot and Cold Water Kitchen Basin Faucet
- Mermaid Semicircle Doormat Artistic Oceanic Figures Sea Horse and Calmar Pattern Drawing Effect Entry Door Mat H 43.3 xD 64.9 Pale bluee Yellow orange
- Convenience Concepts American Heritage Flip Top End Table, White Finish
- Door Mat Non Slip Indoor Doormat Barrier Mat Dirt Trapper Simple Robust Doormats for Indoor & Outdoor & Kitchen- 40x60 cm(4 color Set)
- Hot Knobs HK9004-KB Aqua Glow Copper Tint Square Glass Cabinet Knob - Black Post
- B Xiao Jian Cloth Wardrobe Easy Assembly Storage Clothes Locker Wardrobe Large Oxford Cloth Wardrobe (color A)
- QIANGDA Wall Bookrack Solid Wood Bookshelf Corner Commodity Shelf Carrying Shelves, 2 Grids 3 Grids 5 Grids, Right-Angle Fan-Shaped Optional (color Fan-Shaped, Size 2 grids)
- Adjustable Height Leather bar stools, Bar stools with Back Kitchen Chair 360 Degree redation High Resilience Thick Foam Salon Stool-red
- Kitchen tap Sink Antique Double Open hot and Cold tap All Copper tap tap
- Cornat Navia Single-Lever Washbasin Mixer Tap Chrome White,?1 Piece,?NAV1
- All-Clad 4212 Stainless Steel Saucier Sauce Pan Cookware, 2-Quart, Silver
- Brass Chrome Modern Sink Faucet Swivel 360 Mixer Kitchen Basin Faucets Tap&Soap Dispenser Deck Mounted
- Retro Deluxe FaucetingFree Shipping golden Bathroom Mixer Waterfall Basin Mixer Tap golden Waterfall Tap gold Tap Sink Mixer Bf189
- Kitchen Faucet redating Sink Sink Sink Hot and Cold Faucet
- Black Style Wide Mouth Bathroom Faucet, Waterfall Faucet, Hotel Single Hole hot and Cold Water Faucet, Retro Creative Faucet
I love a good burger. It may be my desert island food, in no small part because there are so many different ways to make one, so it’s impossible to get bored. Which is a good thing, because as I’m now the parent of a 13 year old six foot tall eating machine who requests burgers and/or pizza for dinner every night by placing (begging) his order the night before, I’ve been coming up with variations on the most obvious burger formula. So when the InterMETRO 18-Inch by 24-Inch Basket Shelf asked if I’d come up with a recipe using Canadian turkey, it was an easy (and delicious) challenge, and of course I like to support our Canadian farmers whenever I can.
Keep Reading »
Though my dad came to Canada from Belgium when he was a kid, I’m no expert on the Liège waffle, except to know what I like when I eat one. Liège waffles aren’t like other Belgian-style (thick? round?) waffles – they’re dense and chewy, yeast-raised, with a dough like brioche but studded with ultra-coarse pearl sugar that melts and caramelizes on the outside as they cook, creating a slightly crunchy exterior with plenty of crispy bits. (Depending on where you live, you can usually find it at gourmet shops and stores that carry more baking supplies than others. I got mine at Duchess Provisions in Edmonton, which is now closed, but it was only $3 – not pricey.)
Keep Reading »
Hey all! The latest episode of Crispy Bits (the podcast!) is out! This one’s short and sweet – a quick chat with vegan YouTube superstar Lauren Toyota of BabyFad Modern Quilted bluee 10 Piece Baby Crib Bedding Set (before we went for lunch at the Dandelion Cafe – vegan chicken and waffles!) – have a listen!
A LHbox Basin Mixer Tap Bathroom Sink Faucet European style kitchen faucet enamel basin antioxidant water-saving green bathroom cabinets bathroom faucet the C
You guys, I adore baked Alaska, and I’m not sure why it’s not made more often, so I am here to take any scariness out of the process. It’s one of the most fun, and most delicious, and most celebratory – not only because you get to torch it, which is perhaps the most satisfying culinary endeavour there is, but because it has just the right ratio of ice cream to cake (at least double), is topped with Italian meringue, and you can do just about anything you want with it, flavour-wise. I’ve happily shared a couple wedges at restaurants this week, which reminded me that it really isn’t that tricky to make at home, and is what one might in magazine and internet lingo be described as a show-stopper. (But… who wants to stop a show??) Just imagine, if you will, this baked Alaska with sparklers stuck all over it for a birthday. It looks stunning, and yet there’s no pressure to decorate a cake! Bonus!
The folks at Tourmeler Shaped Bathroom Deck Mounted Basin Water Taps Dual Handle Brass Chrome With Hot And Cold Water Dual Handles (who are based in Ontario) asked if I’d come up with a recipe using their products, and because a) mango sorbet is W’s favourite, b) I appreciate all support that helps offset the cost of keeping this website designed, hosted and mostly functioning, and c) it gives me a legit excuse to make a baked Alaska on a regular Thursday, I sent Mike out for sorbet immediately.
- Warm White LightInTheBox Floral Flush Mount 90W Modern Contemporary LED Chandelier Ceiling Light Fixture Diameter 29.5 Inch for Living Room Bedroom Dining Room Study Room Office Kids Room (Warm White)
- NewBorn Faucet Water Taps Hot And Cold Water All Copper Antique So Old And Cold Water Bathroom Water Tap Single Hole On The Kitchen Sink Bathroom Sink
- LUXE BABY Blanket Chevron, Pink