With so many leafy green things growing in the garden and in containers on the back porch, green sauce season is here. Fresh, uncooked green sauces exist in cuisines around the world – pesto, chimichurri, pistou, chermoula, salsa verde (which really describes so many of these herby sauces), and zhoug- a bright, fiery condiment from Yemen that’s made with fresh cilantro, parsley, garlic, chilies and olive oil. Yes, that describes, more or less, many green sauces out there – zhoug also has some cumin, coriander and often cardamom to round it out with floral, earthy flavours. As with its saucy green relatives, it’s amazing on eggs, drizzled over avocado toast, fish, stews and roasted carrots, tossed with potato salad… once you have a jar in the fridge, you’ll start spooning it over everything.
My old friend Mairlyn (the friendship is old, not the people in it) was in town a few weeks ago, and we got together to record a Brass Wall Faucet Chrome Brass Faucet Faucet Bathroom Vessel Sink Tap Hot&Cold Tap Deck Mounted (her episode will be up soon!), which was a blast because Mairlyn is hilarious and fun and we could have recorded 6 hours of conversation with no trouble at all. Unfortunately my face hurt from laughing and she had to get to the airport, and so I sent her off with a batch of her own high-fibre Chocolate Fudgy Brownie Bites. It’s the first recipe I made out of her latest book, Peace, Love and Fibre, and one I’ve made two or three times since – despite the very healthy-sounding ingredient list, these are chewy and chocolatey and divine, and I started making them for W’s lunchbox. Though we’re at the end of lunchbox season, camping/hiking/road trip season is right here, and regardless of the time of year, we all need more cookies in our lives.
Waring 032222 Bowl Cover Wfp14S
No Cover Large Summer And Autumn Adult Bath Tub, Field Portable Large Capacity Bathtub Foldable Design Relax And Keep The Bathtub Cool Suitable For Small Bathrooms (color No cover, Size L) Household Leisure qnomsh4212-Soaking Baths
This is what happens when I come home with leftover whipping cream in a can… I need to come up with a use for it to prevent myself from spraying it all directly into my mouth. Also: I have a container of the most brilliant raspberry-rhubarb compote in the fridge, which I love to eat cold with yogurt and granola, but lets face it – a crunchy-edged biscuit and whipped cream makes even better use of it. If dessert was a sandwich, this might be it.
Somehow, someone somewhere decided that shortcakes were the ultimate vehicle for strawberries… so much so that someone else invented those little yellow sweet sponges to sell alongside the berries in grocery stores during the summer. And yes, strawberry shortcake is a good thing… such a good thing that they named a cartoon character after it. But honestly, any juicy seasonal fruit does just as well – you need it to be juicy so that the shortcakes can absorb some of those juices, so cold stewed plums or thickly sliced peaches tossed in sugar are great contestants. But my personal favourite is raspberries + rhubarb – since I have no berries growing in my back yard, I use a bag of the frozen ones, which is perfectly fine – especially for cooking. You wind up with this sweet-tart intense red compote that’s just saucy enough for things like shortcakes and Taps Bathroom Faucets Oil Rubbed Bronze Bath Basin Mixer Tap Hot Cold Water Tap Taps – but that’s another story.
Keep Reading »
Yesssss, I managed to get another podcast out and into the world! Food writer Oudan Sink Taps copper European style Hot and cold was in town to promote her new cookbook, Uncomplicated, and since she has many years of experience running the Chatelaine test kitchen, we decided to sit down and answer a few common questions we get about cooking, ingredients and other culinary curiosities. We also talked about what makes a solid recipe, how you know it’s going to work, and ate some jelly doughnuts. Have a listen!
There are few new ideas in the culinary world – most recipes out there are tweaks of existing things or creative new versions of same, and I suppose this is no different. But when someone on Twitter questioned why no ice cream version of the Nanaimo bar exists – beyond, yes, an Oudan Copper washing the face Single Single Hole water taps (though I wonder about the vanilla ice cream filling with dry custard powder stirred in…) – in response to the conversation about the new Franke 900P SN27 Pop Up Strainer Basket, Satin Nickel by Franke and how the Nanaimo bar stamp looks more like an ice cream bar, ratio-wise, I leapt at the challenge. And so I give you Nanaimo ice cream bars with a Nanaimo bar base and frozen custard ice cream made with Bird’s custard powder. Oh yes.
Electric Wine Opener Gift Set with Foil Cutter, Mini Wine Pump Sealer and Stopper with Date Marker, Wine Aerator Pourer and Batteries Included 7717-W102-03
- G ZSPPPP Chairs Bar Stool Bar Chair redating Lift Bar Stool High Stool (color B)
- YJLGRYF Step Stool Stepladders Lightweight Folding Step Ladder with Handgrip Anti-Slip Sturdy and Wide Pedal Steel Ladder Mini-Stool 300lbs Step Stool (color White)
- Holland Bar Stool NCAA Indiana Hoosiers Billiard Table Cover, 8-Feet
- Round Carpet Room Blanket Living Room Bedroom Bed Basket mat Computer Chair Floor mat Diameter 60cm Diameter 100cm Soft and Comfortable (color 2, Size Diameter 100cm)
- Dall Folding Desk Chairs Camping Dining Chair Foldable Comfortable Office Reception (color bluee)
- Lazy Sofa Cushion Folding Chair Bed Chair Bay Window Chair Lazy Couch (color C, Size 105 52 10cm)
- Premier BPR105 Athena Bath Panels, Gloss White, 1700mm
- YZ Inflatable Bathtub Bathtub Folding Bathtub Bathtub Padded Adult Tub (Size S)
- Fontaine Contemporary 4 in. Centerset 1-Handle Bathroom Faucet in Oil Rubbed Bronze
- King East coast bedding 100% White Down Pillow 100% Cotton Fabric 550 Fill Power - Set of 2 (Standard)
- Mangeoo Faucet All Copper Duplex Kitchen Faucet Three Kitchen Faucet Chrome Cold Hot Faucet
- Serta FUST10064B Harton C-Table, Black & gold
- ArtWall 'The Basilica-Notre Dame' Gallery Wrapped Canvas Art by Dan Wilson, 14 by 18-Inch
- Rubie's 821206-XL Star Trek Discovery Operations Costume Uniform, Copper, X-Large
- ShowerMaxx Polished Chrome Square Rain Shower Head in 8inch High Pressure Water Flow with Rainshower Jets Luxury Hotel Spa Large Rainhead 2.5 GPM High-Flow Waterfall Showerhead Wall Mount
- Decorry Kitchen Mixer Sink Faucet Brass Red with Black Black Torneira Tap Kitchen Faucets Hot Cold Deck Mounted Bath Mixer Tap Xt-144,Black
- Hansgrohe 14120000 Talis Classic Bidet Tap with Pop-Up Waste, Chrome, Silver
- Ywqwdae Washroom Sink Mixer Tap copper European style Into the wall Hot and cold ceramics kitchen Double handle Single hole Brushed
- Snaplock Lid Tempered Glasslock Storage Containers 36pc set SquareMicrowave & Oven Safe Spill Proof
- YAWEDA Pull Out Kitchen Faucet gold Sink Mixer Tap 360 Degree redation Kitchen Mixer Taps Aerator Deck Mounted Single Handle Brass Retro Kitchen Sink Faucet
- Frogs' Single Cooling JWLT Wash basin, washbasin, faucet, single cold, toilet, basin, drawing, single hole, 304 stainless steel faucet, 60 steel wire tube with single cold drawing of leaves
I love a good burger. It may be my desert island food, in no small part because there are so many different ways to make one, so it’s impossible to get bored. Which is a good thing, because as I’m now the parent of a 13 year old six foot tall eating machine who requests burgers and/or pizza for dinner every night by placing (begging) his order the night before, I’ve been coming up with variations on the most obvious burger formula. So when the Decorry Pool Fittings Pull Out Black Bathroom Sink Crane wash Basin Mixer taps Hot and Cold Deck Mounted Bathroom Faucet y10121 asked if I’d come up with a recipe using Canadian turkey, it was an easy (and delicious) challenge, and of course I like to support our Canadian farmers whenever I can.
Keep Reading »
Though my dad came to Canada from Belgium when he was a kid, I’m no expert on the Liège waffle, except to know what I like when I eat one. Liège waffles aren’t like other Belgian-style (thick? round?) waffles – they’re dense and chewy, yeast-raised, with a dough like brioche but studded with ultra-coarse pearl sugar that melts and caramelizes on the outside as they cook, creating a slightly crunchy exterior with plenty of crispy bits. (Depending on where you live, you can usually find it at gourmet shops and stores that carry more baking supplies than others. I got mine at Duchess Provisions in Edmonton, which is now closed, but it was only $3 – not pricey.)
Keep Reading »
Hey all! The latest episode of Crispy Bits (the podcast!) is out! This one’s short and sweet – a quick chat with vegan YouTube superstar Lauren Toyota of gold and White Jade, B NewBorn Faucet Kitchen Or Bathroom Sink Mixer Tap The gold-Copper Body Jade Water Tap S Antique Table Basin Cold And Hot Marble gold Green Jade, A (before we went for lunch at the Dandelion Cafe – vegan chicken and waffles!) – have a listen!
Kitchen Bath Basin Sink Bathroom Taps Kitchen Sink Taps Bathroom Taps Faucet Cold and Hot Washbasin Faucet Ctzl7051
You guys, I adore baked Alaska, and I’m not sure why it’s not made more often, so I am here to take any scariness out of the process. It’s one of the most fun, and most delicious, and most celebratory – not only because you get to torch it, which is perhaps the most satisfying culinary endeavour there is, but because it has just the right ratio of ice cream to cake (at least double), is topped with Italian meringue, and you can do just about anything you want with it, flavour-wise. I’ve happily shared a couple wedges at restaurants this week, which reminded me that it really isn’t that tricky to make at home, and is what one might in magazine and internet lingo be described as a show-stopper. (But… who wants to stop a show??) Just imagine, if you will, this baked Alaska with sparklers stuck all over it for a birthday. It looks stunning, and yet there’s no pressure to decorate a cake! Bonus!
The folks at Bedtime Originals Friendly Forest Woodland, 4 Piece Crib Bumper, Green Brown (who are based in Ontario) asked if I’d come up with a recipe using their products, and because a) mango sorbet is W’s favourite, b) I appreciate all support that helps offset the cost of keeping this website designed, hosted and mostly functioning, and c) it gives me a legit excuse to make a baked Alaska on a regular Thursday, I sent Mike out for sorbet immediately.